Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day anyway? I am one of those folks that don’t get hungry until they have been awake for about 4 hours. And by that time it is nearly lunch anyway. So the question I went in search of answering was - What are the real benefits of eating breakfast?
After doing some research it is pretty clear that the benefits of eating breakfast far out weigh any time or calories saved by skipping it. For example, studies have shown that kids do better in school if they have eaten a high-fiber low glycemic index food for breakfast.
Allow me to lay it out for you. There are two huge advantages to eating a nutritious breakfast.
- · Eating breakfast allows your mind to stay focused. The nutrients consumed at breakfast keep your mind functioning at its best and allow you to make quick and focused decisions. This is true for both kids and adults.
- · Eating breakfast can also help improve your weight loss program. Studies have shown that those who skip breakfast consume more calories later in the day and crave higher calorie foods when they make their meal choices.
But it is also important to note what kind of breakfast you are eating. Breakfast high in fiber and protein with a low glycemic index will serve as an efficient fuel for your body vs. a donut or pastry, which serves as nothing but a filler.
In case you are interested. My three favorite breakfasts are:
- · A slice of Whole Grain, Double fiber, toast with slices of hard-boiled eggs on top with a pinch of salt.
- · A toothy whole grain toast with an olive oil drizzle and sliced avocado topped with cracked pepper and salt.
- · And of course – Serious Oats!